Sunday, September 14, 2008

Content, Central Focus, and Composition

For this project, I wanted to take something that I learned from Mark Seliger and put into my photography. What I liked about Seliger's photos were how well he caught the individuality of a person. 

I wanted to focus on the subject matter, which in this case is Emily. I wanted to take photos that make her look like she is a model. I wanted her beauty to shine through the photos. Seliger did such a wonderful job at bringing out a person's personality that I wanted to do the same thing with Emily. 

I was going to accomplish this by playing with the background to help set a mood. I was going to take these photos in an alleyway so that Emily can stand out. I was also going to try different angles and have Emily try different poses. 

As a result, I ended up with these four photos. Out of the many ones that I took, these ones stood out the most. 


Looking Up


My Smirk


Soaring on my Toes 


Nothing To Do


Some Simple Analysis:

Looking up 
Content: Emily
Central Focus: Her eyes
Composition: I set up this photo so that her body is the background and her eyes are brought to focus. Therefore, this creates depth and a good sense of space. 

Overall, this photo captures Emily in a very real sense. The photo appears to be real and not fake looking. She seems relaxed and content. I love how the photo truly brings out her mood and her life-like appearance. 

My Smirk
Content: Emily
Central Focus: Her face
Composition: This photo was set up to bring out something true in Emily's character even though she is a false place. She doesn't smoke, dress up in the rain, or hang out in alleyways, but she is still very much herself. Her facial expression is perfect for this photo. She looks strong, powerful, and appears to not care about what others think. I accomplished this by taking many photos of Emily in this same set up until I got the right face. 

Overall, I like how this picture can tell a story. Things like her wet hair, her cross necklace, her cigarette, her pink nail polish, and the rain are are small details that give life to this photo. With these details, many stories can be created and it makes the photo interesting to look at. 

Soaring on my Toes 
Content: Emily
Central Focus: Her dress
Composition: This photo is set up to show life in a very structured world. The background consists of lines and dull colors. But life comes into the photo with the wind blowing Emily's dress and the water rushing under her feet. The life given off from these factors also give life to Emily. Her smile is natural and in reaction to the wind. 

Overall I love the life of the photo and the set up of the frame.  

Nothing To Do
Content: Emily
Central Focus: Emily
Composition: I wanted this photo to be simple and complex at the same time. In simple terms, it is a girl and a wall. But, at a second look, there is so much detail to be seen. The patched up brick, the boarded window frame, and even the water marks on Emily's dress. 

Overall, I think this photo once again captures Emily's character. All of the small details contribute to the complexity of Emily's personality. 

No comments: